Sunday, 5 February 2012

A Song of Fire and Ice

Well, actually just ice. And not a song. More like a lament. A cold one.

We had been promised snow in Manchester but on waking up on Saturday, the weather forcasts now said no snow. We got over our disappointment and set out for a day date, just me and MrP. We started with lunch, which was in a vegetarian cafe attached to a shop full of kitsch tat (yay!) where the tables were made from melted down old phone cases......


Mmmm jasmine tea
Can't remember what this face from MrP was about!
Then it started to snow and, like idiots, we had no hats or umbrellas and had lots of shopping to do. There was a vintage fair happening which I wanted to go to, which we hoped would provide some shelter and some bargains. But we got to the venue and there was no sign of it. A quick check on Twitter confirmed that it had been cancelled 'due to the council' whatever that means!

Off out into the snow again to look at the vintage stalls and retro game shop in Afflecks Palace (an 'alternative' shopping centre, if you're not familier with Manchester) where I fell in love with this safari bag while MrP was routing through the Master System games...

A bag which is cool AND practical - whatever will they think of next!
First thing MrP said when I announced that I had bought a bag was 'what for?' Oh silly, silly boy.

I got a FAB metal owl mug and to go in it, I also got more of the tea from Whittards which I was on about in my last post. In the tea shop I also found this tea diffuser for all the loose tea I've been buying in the shape of a house. I LOVE it, even if it looks like it won't hold much tea!



Then we made it all the way out to Salford Quays in the snow to see 'Pearl and Dave' which is the new show from Isy Suttie, a comedienne who also plays Dobby in Peep Show.

 
MrP got the tickets - I wasn't too sure - but it was GREAT! A love story told through anecdotes and songs which was very funny and lots of fun to watch. I recommend it if you get the chance! By the end of the day the snow was at that 'compacted ice' phase and, in my non-grip shoes, I was slipping all over the place and had to cling to MrP to avoid falling on my backside!

Today was much more low key; some sitting about, catching up on New Girl (I so want to like it, but I'm not sure I do) and tidying. We went to see Hugo at the local cinema in the afternoon - an old independent one with tickets that pop up out of the counter and ash trays in the seats. I thought the film was ok, not amazing.

In other news, I am looking forward to watching the new series of Being Human and BEYOND excited for the new series of Game of Thrones. The first official trailer only served to heighten my already fever pitch excitement:


Hope your weekend was great!

Jen x

7 comments:

  1. I'm so pumped for Game of Thrones too! I think it's going be on at the same time as the new series of Mad Men, so I'm going to write off Monday nights for the months of April and May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am away when it's on so I'll have to catch up when I get back. Apparently 'TV' not a good enough excuse not to go to New Zealand! :)

      Delete
  2. Ok, I need to know which shop this is - sounds like my kinda thing. Is it in the Northern Quarter? I was supposed to be selling at that vintage fair. Was gutted - it would have been really cool. Basically, they need a licence to hold a fair in that location. Love the mug and I really need to catch up on Game of Thrones - sooooo behind! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you guess it was in the Northern Quarter? ;) It's called Oklahoma, on High Street (it has a Facebooks here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-giftshopcafe/174804519198652). The owl mug was from there too! They have a nice mix of total tat and more pricey, handmade stuff AND CAKE! j x

      Delete
  3. Oooh what weird tables! I bet they were cool up close. I love your new bag, guys never understand the need for a new bag though do they? It's a shame really, they don't know what they're missing out on.

    Looks like you had a great day, and it was lovely reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tables were hypnotic - I kept spotting phone cases I had owned (like a Bagpuss one). It was a good day despite the snow, thanks!

      It needs to be the weekend again...! j x

      Delete
  4. Yey I have one of those Teahouses and I got some for my boyfriend as he's a real looseleaf tea fanatic, they're so ridiculously cute eh...

    I spy Oklahoma! I go there as often as I can when I'm in Manchester, love it. The gift shop is amazing :)

    I know what you mean about New Girl, the first couple of episodes are ALRIGHT but its grating on me a lot now. :(

    ReplyDelete

I get very excited when people take the time to comment. Thank you!