Friday, 16 March 2012

A Secret Day Out

A week or so ago we planned a random family day out to.....a nuclear bunker. Yes. You heard right. Non- geeks, look away now. We had a lot of fun going to Hack Green Nuclear Bunker museum. It was much much more fun than I thought it would be!

Now, to understand my excitement, bear in mind that it is not only a nuclear bunker, it is a SECRET nuclear bunker. In fact we were pretty anxious about whether we were going to even find it. Luckily we found the secret code:

The museum staff realised that many children, important though it is that they learn about the Cold War, might be a little bored by a museum with 26 different rooms. Those clever dicks at Hack Green have come up with a Where's Wally game for a nuclear bunker - find the Spy Mice! Now, being adults we weren't interested in finding the spy mice, right? WRONG!

I have to admit that my attention span for museums is, even with the best will in the world, shorter than the time it took to go around the whole bunker, so the spy mice kept me from asking when we were going and nagging for drinks. But by the end of the day everyone, including my mum and dad, were more excited about finding spy mice than what we were learning. There were even signs on the rooms which genuinely had no spy mice in them, including a room with a mannequin on a hospital bed with burnt flesh and a backing track of sobs og agony (not a room for the kids that one) and the toilets. We found 76 but the lady on the till when we finished refused to tell us how near we were to getting it right - spoil sport.

When I wasn't spotting mice, I was sniggering at funny signs:

Turns out bikinis were a huge Cold War problem.

Also, it's a good job we had people in charge of the important sounding jobs....

....important jobs like plotting!

 ........and that we had the right equipment for the job!

Countdown clocks, gas proof tea, radiation suits for mice, and emergency sombreros. What more could we need?!

I took approximately a million photos but realise that museums aren't everyone's idea of a rocking Saturday so I've been very restrained. But if museums are your idea of a rocking Saturday, we had a great time at Hack Green! Come for the nuclear threat, stay for the spy mice!

Jen x










8 comments:

  1. ha! that looks like my type of place. I'm all about museums and libraries. Spy rats sound very entertaining. I like Big Pit in Blaenavon where you can go down in the mine, great museum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Big Pit - I'll have to look it up next time I'm in Wales! Jen x

      Delete
  2. That museum looks majorly interesting. It reminds me of the Stasi Museum in Leipzig which although a bit eerie is one of the best museums I've ever been to and I used to go regularly when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I googled that museum one of the top hits was an article entitled 'Stasi Museum in Leipzig: 40 years of spying and terror' which is all the description I need I think! Jen x

      Delete
  3. I love museums - those spy mice look funny and I'm digging the "secret" bunker signs :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that we found those signs disproportionately hilarious! Jen x

      Delete
  4. Aha, I'm from near Nantwich and delight in saying "why do they put signs up for a Secret Bunker"?! Alas I have only ever been once and found it terrifying. Were other visitors there when you were?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though it was a Saturday afternoon, we were the only people there. Then I turned round to shout "d'ya reckon they give out prizes for spy mice counting?" to my sister to find a slightly annoyed elderly couple. They probably thought it would be a peaceful afternoon out......! X

    ReplyDelete

I get very excited when people take the time to comment. Thank you!